APPLY TO A RANGE OF COLLEGES – “DREAM” OR “REACH”; “BALL PARK”; “SAFETY” OR “LOOKS GOOD” …. going from 3500 to 1 !!!
1. Start as early as possible. OBSERVE DEADLINES(Admission, Program, $, FAFSA)
(Some as early as November 3, Miami U. Harrison Scholarship; many OSU Merit Scholarships (Morrill Scholars 12/1). Many schools reward early applications!!!
- Know difference between early action, early decision, regular decision, etc.
- Apps without test scores okay but scores sent by test agency must arrive by deadlines!! (Direct Report!)
- Programs may require special app; deadline (e.g. OU Honors 12/1, Journalism&Visual Comm. 12/15)
2. Transcript Release Form on file with Mrs. Bulger; $2.00 per transcript. Profile/resume on file
3. Darby’s part begins by you checking in with Mrs. Bulger. Complete Transcript Request Form. Provide/download proper forms.
Request secondary school reports (SSR)/counselor report and transcript at least 10 working days prior to the deadline. (Goal – submit your application for regular admission by November 1st). Obviously, EARLIER for Early Decision, Early Action. Deadline between mid December and mid January – request due to Mr. Palazzo 11/12/10. Request transcript before you submit application.
In submitting paper application your part includes/student sends:
- completed application
- fee (check/money order/electronic transfer/credit card); Fee Waivers
- essay and other attachments (if applicable)
- secondary school report/counselor form/college prep form that you have provided (you complete student header information) evaluation/comments-your counselor? Mr. Palazzo?
- mid-year report form that student provides (if applicable); optional midyear reports
4. Paper application – Put name on each page of application packet (forms, essays, resume, etc.)
- Neatness counts! Practice on a Xerox copy. Type (preferred) or print (black ink)
- Follow directions (e.g. cap letters, blue or black ink, etc.) – READ THROUGH FIRST!
- Personal statement, essay(s); when is optional essay mandatory?
- Proofread: have someone else review app; English teacher read essay(s)
- Keep Xerox copy of final product.
- Originals have been lost on the way to or at the final destination
5. Online/electronic application – download any secondary school reports (SSR), counselor reports, college prep, recommendation forms, etc. Provide forms to Mrs. Bulger in the guidance office and teacher recommendations to appropriate teacher(s) or e-mail to Mr. Palazzo/ counselor/ teacher(s) (inform Mrs. Bulger of recs). Print and save a copy of your entire completed application for your records.
6. Recommendations – Number? (“…do you know me well enough to write a (good) recommendation?”)
- Give teacher at least two weeks to write (10 working days, plus)
- Provide profile, resume, recommendation forms; addressed, stamped envelope
- Waive your right to review?
- If applicable, have teacher send original recommendation (or a copy) directly to college, agency, dept. etc. Provide stamped addressed envelopes.
- Have teacher email or provide Mr. Palazzo with a copy
- Follow up on progress/“Anything else you need from me?”/follow up with thank you.
7. Common Application (400+ schools accept) paper or on-line. www.commonapp.org
8. Use of the Internet (college search, electronic application, financial aid, etc.)
BE AWARE OF DEADLINES!!